Thursday 2 September 2010

Interview with Liz


When do you go to the Battlehill?
I go there at least once a week. I usually take my dog, a greyhound. People think it looks quite comical, she is attached with her harnsih to me. I go there for exercise and because it´s nice to absorb the natural surroundings. I am generally going at speed.

How would you describe the place in terms of atmosphere?
It feels very restfull. Generally it´s a circular route I do round the edge, you see different things, you have trees and you look out across the fields towards Kinour.

Is it about forgetting to go up there?
Well, usually I have music as well, that´s actually steering me on and helps me to forget as I go round, it´s probably a Serotonin rush from the exercise as well and that makes it complete and wonderful.
I love it when there is snow. When I had my cancer treatment seven years ago that was a great place to go. Even if you didn´t feel like it, I went anyway because it does cheer you up. I even wrote a little short verse about it:

Crump crump crump marching through the snow
Crump crump crump through the woods I go
Saving every moment as though it were my last
I hear my inner voice call out:
You´re going way too fast!


Are there any sounds you would associate with the woods?
It´s a peaceful place without so many sounds. I suppose the main sound would be the wind going through the trees. I love the wind. You have been sheltered from it and then suddenly „woosh“ it comes right in your face.

Are there any smells you remember?
I suppose rotting leaves, the smell is very evocative. I like it when it has just rained and you have a scent coming from the small plants.(...)
The tree that quite often has flowers at the bottom, that’s a sad one. I assume someone has comitted suicide. It´s a huge beech tree just before you go into the quarry.

Have you ever had a picnic or something like it in the Woods?
I have sat and sort of contemplated life, yes. There is a seat on your way, on the side that´s facing towards Drumblade, I have sat there and wrote a speech.

No comments:

Post a Comment